Friday, January 22, 2010

POLAR BEAR 2010

This weekend is the Polar Bear Run. It has been 2 years since the cutest runner ever was in the field. Some of you may remember me writing about this last year (click here to read). This was the last 'big thing' Brock did before he died days later.

We again placed Brockie-Bands in 2,000 bags for the runners and volunteers. We were not sure we would do this again. However, after prayer and leading, we are glad to be a part of the Polar Bear Run. If you are new to the blog we say, "Welcome!" If you are back for the first time in a while, "Welcome back."

As Jesus said, "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world (John 16:33)." We hope you find encouragement here as you journey in this race called "LIFE."

As we were making the decision whether to provide the Brockie-Bands this year, we were encouraged by the stories many of you have shared about wearing yours. Our son, Mason's, coach wears his to every game to remind him that he is an example and needs to act with integrity as he "Lives Hard" on the field. Drew's fraternity brother wears his to remind him to "Love Hard" when dealing with his children, even when it is tough. And a runner friend wears his to finish his runs strong as if "Running to Jesus."

Our ultimate goal is to finish this race strong, so that, at the end, we receive the words we all want to hear from our Lord..."Well done! My good and faithful servant. Come and share my joy."

If you have a Brockie-Band story, it would make our day if you would please leave a comment. Tell us why you wear it or a conversation that has come from it.

And if you don't have one, the boys would love to send you one, free. Since I dropped the ball on this offer last year, the boys have 'assumed' the project :) Just send your address in an email to dnmeadows@comcast.net.

So, for inspiration...




RUN HARD!!!

8 comments:

Jamie {See Jamie blog} said...

I'm so glad you're doing the Brockie bands again this year. I need to get a kid-sized one for me and for Kathryn.

Kelly said...

Oh! How I just BAWLED watching Brock's Memorial video. I did not know Brock, but I know your pain. What precious memories you have with him, as we have with Montana. God Bless your family.

ntalley03 said...

I ran in the Polar Bear run today and I told my friends and family I was running for Brock (after getting the band in my bag, I made the decision to run this for him). I ran my fastest 5K ever today and I believe I had help from Brock! I am sure he told Jesus to put a little energy in my steps as I ran today! Unfortunately, I lost the band (I have small wrists, I probably needed a kids band), but I will always remember Brock from this day forward and will dedicate my Polar Bear race to him each year! Stay strong and know that you have blessed many with your story!

sdfink said...

I ran the 2010 Polar Bear 5K but didn't notice the Brockie Band in my bag until I returned home. I read the enclosed card to find out what the band was about. I want to thank you for reaching out to the community and strangers like me and sharing the story of courageous, loving Brock's short life. He obviously touched and continues to touch many lives as a reminder to Live Hard, Love Hard and Run to Jesus! This 45-year old mom is wearing your Brockie Band right now and it's not coming off! May God bless your family with a peace that passes all understanding. Thank you so much for passing out the Brockie Bands this year so 1st time Polar Bear runners like myself could also be inspired by your dear son who has run to Jesus...the very best run of all.

--Sandra Fink, Woodstock, GA

Paige Stanfield said...

I have shown this video to the boys several times and they crack up every time they see it! I am thinking about you guys this week and we are praying extra hard for you.

MrsLoomis said...

I prayed for you all during the entire week...you are a precious gift.

My Brockie Band hangs in my car so I remember his legacy every time I put my car into gear.

Henley on the Horn said...

I know this is a tough weekend. You're in my prayers, esp on the 31st.
Ann Henley

Mistye Wilson said...

I received my Brockie-Band after the Polar Bear run. I just read through your blog and am sobbing while my three children (Reese and Maddox 3.5 years and Zane, almost 2) run around and play.
Thank you for writing this, thank you for loving God and listening to His call. This has been an amazing Blog to read. You are such a strong mommy and I know that you can only get that strength from our Heavenly Father. I will pray for you and your family. This has been such an inspiration for me to read as I prepare to go on my second mission trip back to Cambodia. I constantly fear of the worst things that can happen while I'm away but then people like you give me encouragement and joy to follow my Lord.
Be blessed,
Mistye Wilson