Friday, August 27, 2010

Boys of Fall

Did you hear it? Today there was something in the air that whispered...

Fall is on it's way

While there is not much about the heat and humidity that feels like Fall, I know it's coming. I know this because the trunk of my car looks like this:

(Drew loves the contrast of the pink stroller versus the shoulder pads)

We have all three boys playing football this season. Barrett is playing in the local recreational program.

Asa is playing for the freshman team at the high school.


Mason is playing for the homeschool league's middle school team.


It still brings on a bittersweet thought that, from his birth, we always talked about Brock growing up to be our bruiser football player. With his stocky-thick build and fondness for roughhousing, we would dream about him "knockin people around." As I sit and watch the boys practice now, I can't stop my mind from imagining Brock's unique cadence running down the field. I can even hear them announcing...brought down by Brock 'The Rock' Meadows!

They have all been practicing for a few weeks now. Mason had a game this weekend. Asa and Barrett will each have their first game this week.

Now I am a true Southern Girl; I love to watch football. I can even be found talking about the weekend's games with my girl friends. However, the game became much different when "my boys" started playing. I am not so much afraid of them getting hurt, though I have uttered many prayers from the sidelines, but now that they are "my boys" out there, I am not so excited about the clashing hits. The boys come in from practice sweating from head to toe. They are literally spent...yet they smile as they go to bed talking about tomorrow's practice when they get to do it all over again.

Due to the heat index, Asa's team was legally unable to practice outside so the coach decided to hold practice at 5am - yes in the morning. He had to be there at 4:45AM. They finished football practice at 7:00am. He had to take a shower and eat breakfast at school and then go to class. Can you tell we take our football seriously here in The South!! I was proud of him - he never complained. He was ready to go every day.

Quite frankly, I really don't get it! I don't understand why, but they all love playing the game.

Why shouldn't they, they have had plenty of practice in the yard?!


They love the physical contact and all the exertion that goes with it.


Every bruise on their boyhood body is a medal of honor. The sound of the colliding helmets and pads is invigorating. Just like the hard lesson they've learned in life - when they get knocked down, they have to strengthen their weakened knees and get back up...with the help of the Lord.

No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it. Therefore, strengthen your feeble arms and weak knees. Hebrews 12:11-12



I guess, in a not so little way.........I do get it.

I have to admit I cried when I watched this video. Kenny Chesney's song has quickly become one of our favorites. Enjoy!

***Warning - there is an ugly word (the A-word) at 2:05. Turn down your volume or cough at that point if you are watching with kids. ***


4 comments:

MrsLoomis said...

yep. I get it.

Anonymous said...

I can tell it's time for some football because my toenails just went from summer's pink to fall's red. Go Dawgs! Love that video, too. Iris

Henley on the Horn said...

Your boys of fall are so precious! I Love that LJ watches it all!

Beth said...

Nita~
Loved the pictures!! Wright wants to come play with your boys in the yard! Let us know Asa's schedule and we will try to make a game.
Love you!
B